Thursday, February 27, 2014

ICE Conference 2014

I attended the ICE Conference (Illinois Computing Educators Conference) today.  Here are some of the things I am going to use.


1. Keynote Speaker: Mike Muir from Maine  twitter @mmuir
http://multiplepathways.wordpress.com/author/multiplepathways/
"It's about the learning not the stuff"
"We should have a Pedagogical Focus not a Tech Focus"
"It's not a Formative Assessment it is Formative Feedback"
"Create great learning with Technology"

2. Using Digital Tools as Assessments for learning:  Jamie Gourley and Josh Zwart @Josh_Zwart
Hand Out
Quizlet is an easy program that can work for math.  Check out Josh's trinomial example example: http://quizlet.com/34025898/scatter
I also learned that you can put in videos to Google Forms.


3.  Cool Tools for the BYOD Classroom:  Tammy Worcester www.tammyworcester.com  @tammyworcester Evernote tip sheet
This is a feedback system that you can draw pictures and submit them to the instructor.
http://www.infuselearning.com/  I tried it and it is really cool.
She shortened urls and made a QR code with a Google Document.  http://tammyworcester.com/urlshortener/
She made a Google Form and had us enter our name and the place we were born.  She then took the data and put it in a site called  www.batchgeo.com  Instructions are here:  http://tammyworcester.com/batchgeo/
She did a different presentation with Greg Tang and I thought you would like to see some of that info:  Evernote Handout


4.  I saw Nancy Norem Powell  @NAPmath doing a session on SMARTBoard Wigits  http://napmath.wordpress.com/  and http://smartboardsmarty.wikispaces.com/
I learned about how there is a beta version of Extreme Collaboration which was taking information from any device (not a clicker) and using the info on the SMARTBoard.  Click here on how to get it


5.  I met Tony Schlorff who told me about the SMART LightRaise™ interactive projectors which does not need the board.  It shines on the wall and you can draw using your finger.  AMAZING.  He said it costs about a third less than the regular SMARTBoard.


6.  Lastly, I went to a workshop with Our Journey in “Going Google…”  Matt Dusterhoft, Pat Deane & Kate Fahey  Lockport Township District 205  Click here for their handout  twitter:  Kate:@EdTechKate Pat: @ITDeane  Matt:@mduster

2 comments:

Ramsey Willis said...

Hi Dave

This is Ramsey Willis and after looking at all of the information and ideas you obtained at the ICE conference, I wish I was there. That is a lot of technology that I haven't used before. It looks like they can be extremely useful for math teachers so I will check them out. I did try Josh's trinomial example and after I figured out what was going on, it was easy but fun. It will be a good project for students. I like competing, trying to get that high score and I am close. It can get addictive. I also want to thank you for the information that you provided on the SMART LightRaise. This information is good to pass on to the administration at the school in which I will be teaching. Great informative post! Thanks again!

Ramsey Willis said...

Hi Dave

I just want to say "Thank You" for your blog and the many tools you have inspired me to use. After attending the NCTM conference in New Orleans this past week, I understand what is offered and what you have to go through to determine what is useful and what is not. Believe it or not, I have used Desmos a lot and have explored Geogebra some because you have directed us to these resources and I love them. I've also used other resources but wouldn't have known about them without you so I say "Thank You" again for being amazing and sharing with us.