- Try to think of one positive thing about this student. (sometimes this is hard)
- Find a time in which to communicate this positive thing to them. (this is really hard)
- Try to find an obstacle that this student has been battling and empathize with them. Maybe it's their home life. Maybe it is a lack of friends. Or maybe it is a lack of self confidence that is coming out in the wrong way. Then I use this to understand their situation a little better.
- If you think this about this student, then probably others think the same. Therefore who is going to stop the cycle?
- Think back to when you were in 8th grade. Do you remember? It was tough. I would like to think the adults in my life were rooting me on, instead of giving up.
- Make a point to say hello each time you see this student.
- I pray for this student and my attitude towards them.
"Whether you think you can or can't, you are right". Henry Ford
What are some techniques you are using to stop your negative "self-talk"?
I still believe each student can change,