1. I'm exhausted.
This was mentally and physically taxing today. I was wiped out by 7th period. I had one more period to go. Our students really put in a lot of energy into the school day. And most have some type of extra curricular activity after school.
How I might modify my teaching: Empathize and adjust the outside of class workload.
2. I sat in a chair a lot today. I being a math teacher calculated how much time in minutes I was in my chair. 303 minutes in my chair. Almost all of the chairs were swivel chairs which helped. However, that is a lot of time just sitting.
How I might modify my teaching: Create more activities that encourage movement. Give more choices for students to be able to move around during class.
3. Our students are learning a lot in one day. I took notes in every class. My notes turned out to be 7 pages long. It was a ton of information. It was engaging material. I really loved learning these new things. I also wanted to create something instead of just learning about something.
How I might modify my teaching: Be efficient. Be concise. Don't give busy work. Have a purpose with everything I give my students. Have students CREATE more.
4. We have excellent students and staff at our school. I really wish I could be back in school. The teachers were engaging and passionate about what they do. The students were respectful and were very cooperative.
How I might modify my teaching: Tell my students how much I appreciate them. Enjoy the moment and the journey. I have a wonderful job. Show how much I enjoy teaching.
5. I got to know the teacher very well in one class period. What it made me ponder was "do my students know if I know them?"
How I might modify my teaching: I need to know my students. I need to show them individual time. Students deserve individual attention.
Kyle, You were the perfect host. I can't thank you enough for letting me into your world. It was eye opening. I appreciate what you go through a lot better now that I was in your shoes for a day. Thank you!
- We did a Brain Break in the middle of one of the lessons. That was FUN!
- I'm pretty sure I was the only one in the cafeteria who had a hard boiled egg in their lunch.
- Jessica helped me out in PE swing dancing. Thank you for being very patient with my 2 left feet. I really was nervous
- MY EYES ARE BAD. I realized right away that I couldn't see the board as clearly as I thought I could. (must have something to do with being 50! haha)
- THANK YOU for inventing Swivel Chairs.
- The lunch table talk was blunt but enlightening.
- I almost made Kyle late because I had to use the bathroom between classes. It made me a lot more sensitive to allowing students to go to the bathroom during class.
- My mind wondered a lot. There is a lot of dead time in the day to be able to do this. I tried to stay focused but was a little tired.
- I really liked math class. I guess it is a good thing I'm a math teacher.
- I never had an interest in the Great Gatsby until the class today. Now I'm very intrigued.
- Hacky sack is a tough game. To get someone else out you need to juggle at least 4 times. I only did 2. I was out pretty quick.
- I'm really humbled to be a teacher. It is quite a responsibility. I don't want to ever take for granted the charge I have.
- I took 7 pages of notes today. An organization system is a must for students.
Here is my journey on Twitter Storyify Journey
My Very Best,