Friday, February 8, 2013

How can you Measure Student Engagement?

Have you ever wondered if your students are engaged in their learning?  I have often wondered this and wondered how I could measure it.  So, some colleagues and I have come up with what is called the "ENGAGEMENT WHEEL."   It is a way to reflect on an hour of your day that you have taught and try to give it an ENGAGEMENT score.  The higher the score the more engaged your class was.  The engagement wheel measures what your students are doing.



 The engagement wheel score is most accurate when looking at the same class repeatedly over a number of days.  This will insure the score's validity.

I have an example for you.  Tuesday during 4th period I received a score of 5.  I filled in the categories that were true for that hour.  I would take samples from a few days in a row to determine where I stand.  Also, from this activity it will become obvious which pie slices you are not doing regularly.


PDF Color and B/W are available with the purchase of  Engaging Teaching Tools Book

THE ENGAGEMENT WHEEL IS FULLY EXPLAINED IN THE BOOK Engaging Teaching Tools  

GET THE BOOK Engaging Teaching Tools The book covers the Engagement Wheel in detail and many more Teaching Tools.    To purchase the book please go to to a website   Amazon  Corwin Publishing  Barnes and Noble


Let me know what you think and how you have used this.  I would really appreciate the feedback.
My Very Best,
Dave

No comments: