- One way would be to multiply 10 times 29 which is 290 and then add another 29 which is 319.
- Another way would be to multiply 11 times 30 and which is 330 and subtract one 11 to get 319.
- Another way would be to add 11 plus 11 plus 11 ... and so on until you have done it 29 times.
- Another way would be to use the column method. See below.
- How about using a calculator?
So I think that I need to work harder at showing multiple methods to solve a problem. I need require my students to find multiple methods of solving a problem. At the high school level, it is more about how students are thinking to solve problems. I know they can get a solution. More importantly, how did you come up with it. Justify your thinking.
So, yes it does matter how you solved the problem. The way you solved it might just help me understand it a little bit better.